- the types of information we collect and how we collect it;
- the ways in which we use, share and protect that information;
- the choices you have in controlling the collection of your information; and
- your ability to access and update your information.
By using our site, you are signifying to us that you agree with our policy. Although the site contains links to other websites, you should be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of those, or any other, sites. If you have questions about how those websites collect and use data, you should carefully read those sites’ privacy policies.
Some Important Vocabulary
Whenever we reference “this site”, “our site” or “the site” we mean the Probiotic USA web site found at www.probioticusa.com. When we talk about “authorized features and apps” we’re referring both to elements of our social media presence viewable from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google+, LinkedIn or any of the many other available external third party social media platforms, as well as mobile or other apps we’ve created and distributed to let our customers and followers view our site or otherwise interact with our content. Last, but definitely not least, when we refer to “personal information” we mean information that can be used to identify your or that can be easily linked to you. Thus, a fairly comprehensive list of “personal information” would include such things as your name, address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, social security number and date of birth. In contrast, a domain name or an internet protocol address, would not be considered personal information.
Please be a Grown Up: User Age Requirements and Children’s Privacy
Federal law imposes special restrictions and obligations on commercial website operators who direct their operations toward, and collect and use information from children under the age of 13. We take those age-related requirements very seriously, and consistent with it do not intend for this site or any of our authorized features or apps to be used by children under the age of 18. Moreover, we do not knowingly collect personal information from minors under the age of 18. If we become aware that anyone under the age of 18 has submitted personal information to our site, we will delete that information and will not use it for any purpose whatsoever. We encourage parents and legal guardians to talk with their children about the potential risks of providing personal information over the internet.
Nothing Personal: Automatically Collected Information
When you visit our site, basic information is passively collected through your web browser via use of tracking technologies, such as “cookies” which utilize simple text files sent from our servers to your computer hard drive. The information we collect through these means is not personal information and does not individually identify you. It includes things like:
- the domain name and IP address from which you accessed our site.
- the type of browser and operating system you use.
- the date and time and length of your visit.
- the specific page visited, graphics viewed and any documents downloaded.
- the specific links to other sites you accessed from our site.
- the specific links from other sites you used to access our site.
Mobile devices are the one possible exception to the rule that our passive, automatic collection activities exclude personal information. We say that because, if you access our site from a phone or other mobile device, the mobile services provider may transmit to us uniquely identifiable mobile device information which allows us to then collect mobile phone numbers and associate them with the mobile device identification information. Some mobile phone service providers also operate systems that pinpoint the physical location of devices and we may receive this information as well.
Regardless, we use both automatically collected non-personal information and mobile device information only to compile generic reports about popular pages on our site, and to see how our customers and followers are accessing our site. We then use that data to administer the site, make your activities more convenient and efficient and to enhance the functionality of our site, such as by remembering certain of your information thereby saving you time.
Now its Personal: Voluntarily Submitted Information
If you participate in certain activities on our site, you may need to provide us with information about yourself. For example, if you choose to send us an e-mail or fill out an on-line form, you are voluntarily providing personal information to us. In doing so, you are giving us your consent to collect, use and disclose that information in the ways we describe in this policy. We may use voluntarily-provided personal information to communicate directly with you on a one-to-one basis. We do not sell, rent or trade personal information with third parties.
If you don’t want us to collect your personal information, don’t provide it! This means you shouldn’t participate in the activities on our site that request or require it. Participation is strictly your choice. Not participating may limit your ability to take full advantage of the site, but it will not affect your ability to access certain information available on the site to the general public.
Here are some of the ways you voluntarily give us your personal information and how we use it:
- eMails and Texts – When you send us an email your email address, and any other personal information that may be in the content of your message or attached to it, are retained by us and used to respond back directly to you. [The same is true if you send us a text message.] If you prefer we not collect, use or store this information, please do not e-mail [or text] us. Instead, you may want to communicate with us by phone or in person.
- Registering for Promotions – When you register for promotions including marketing promotions, , you submit personal information to us which we then retain. We use that information to operate the promotion. We also may use any personal information you provide about your residence to customize our promotional pages with news and events to make them more relevant to you. If you include your email address or mobile phone number in your registration information we’ll use it to communicate with you via email and/or phone.
- Taking Surveys – When you take surveys posted on or offered from our site, you will be submitting personal information in the course of completing the survey. We use that information for our own internal marketing and company development purposes. As with promotions, if you include your email address or mobile phone number in your registration information we’ll use it to communicate with you via email and/or phone.
- Filling out Forms – Our site has a number of forms that allow you to do things like contact us. We use the information provided by you in filling out these forms to contact you in connection with the subject matter of the form.
Note that some authorized features and apps may allow users to post or upload messages, comments, screen names, computer files and other materials. If you choose to make personally identifiable information public through these means, we will consider that information to be in the public domain and will not limit its disclosure in the manner described by this policy.
Choices you can make: Opt Out and Account Changes
If we are using personal information you provided to send you materials, such as newsletters, promotions and store announcements, via text or email, and you decide you don’t want to receive such materials, you may opt out by sending an e-mail to us with your name, mailing address and/or e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org. When we receive your request, we will take reasonable steps to remove your name from our distribution lists.
If the site offers a user profile or account feature, and you’ve created an account for yourself, you may review and change or delete the personal information stored in your user account on this site by visiting the “My Account” section or by e-mailing us at email@example.com. Deleting an account from the site does not relieve us of our data retention obligations, so we want to be clear that we will still have your information in our archives until we’re allowed to destroy it via our established records retention and destruction procedures. Users also need to understand that deletion of an account or profile may not stop all communications from us. For instance, if you continue to separately submit forms to us or take surveys after you delete your user account/profile, you will be voluntarily submitting your personal information through those separate means.
Things Happen: We do what we can to ensure Information Security
We will take all reasonable security precautions to protect your personal information provided to our site. Due to the inherently open and somewhat risky nature of the Internet, however, we cannot guarantee that your information, whether during transmission or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, will be free from unauthorized access or that loss, misuse, destruction or alteration will not occur. We disclaim any liability for any theft or loss of, unauthorized access or damage to or interception of any data or communications. You should also note that third party companies who provide us with services to help us operate and maintain both our site and our corporate technology environment will have incidental access to your information, including your personal information, as part of the work they perform. We require that they enter into confidentiality and other agreements, but cannot guarantee their compliance.
We reserve the right to change or update this policy from time to time. Please check our site periodically for such changes since all information collected is subject to the policy in place at that time. Typically, we will indicate the effective/amendment date at the beginning of this policy. If we feel it is appropriate, or if the law requires, we’ll also provide a summary of changes we’ve made near the end of new policy.